Wednesday 9 March 2016

Sarah Wilson - Student Creative

Object selection

As I wanted to focus my project on 1950’s domestic plastics, I carefully selected ten items on the MoDiP website search from the era that I felt had the most interesting shapes and could work together in a printed design. There were 777 plastic objects to choose from so it was challenging to narrow it down to such a limited amount, however the colours of the plastics were also something I wanted to take into consideration and this made the decision a little easier. 

To begin with, I went into the museum and observed the ten objects that I had chosen, drawing out the smaller details and general shape of each one. As well as this I photographed them, making sure that I could recall colour information and any other necessary details later on.



Milk Aid - PHSL : 198
Quickmix Major Manual Food Mixer - PHSL : 137
Midwinter Modern Cup - AIBDC : 005394
Tupperware Juicer - AIBDC : 002942
Pink Cheese or Butter Dish - AIBDC : 06481
Triangular Combined Salt and Pepper Pot - AIBDC : 0_6442
Large Isovac Vacuum Jug - AIBDC : 0_6444

Cream and Red Jug - AIBDC : 003557
Measuring Spoons - AIBDC : 006343sa
Acrylic Dish - AIBDC : 006311sa
Colour Palette

I created a colour palette by picking out colours from the photographs of the objects that I took when observing them in the museum. From these colours I picked six that complimented each other and would work well together. 

Sketchbook pages

At this point I began to recreate some of the objects by collaging their basic shapes and playing around with the different colours chosen and seeing how they worked together in smaller groups.


Sketchbook pages
Colour palette
CAD Embroidery

After establishing some colours and creating some basic designs, I was able to scan these and put them into a program where I can transfer them to stitch designs that are sewn by a computerised machine.


CAD Embroidery
CAD Embroidery

I plan to continue with my digital print patterns and get them sent away for production soon, on their return I will be stitching into them using CAD embroidery (as above) and hand stitch methods.

Sarah Wilson (Student Creative)

Sarah is a final year BA (hons) Textiles student at the Arts University Bournemouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.