Wednesday 20 January 2016

Introducing - Sarah Wilson, Student Creative



Due to the high level of applicants for our Student Creative initiative this year we have chosen to take on two students.  Last week we heard from Sian de Jong our fine art student,  this week we have asked Sarah Wilson to introduce herself and her planned project:


I am in my third year of studying a degree in Textiles at Arts University Bournemouth, and excited to be working as a Student Creative for the Museum of Design in Plastics. For the next four months, I will be using items from the collection specifically from the years 1950-1959 as inspiration and a starting point for drawings, resulting in a collection of digitally printed 1950s style patterns on fabric, which will reflect on the artefacts I choose to study.



I am planning to use items from this era, as it will be interesting to explore the domestic use of plastic from the 1950s and the history of a particular decade. By using the date filter on the MoDiP website, I will easily be able to find pictures and object numbers of the plastics I need, as well as request them from the archives to use as a primary resource. I aim to draw and photograph these, as my initial drawings will be used as part of my digital designs later on in the process.



Here are some examples of my previous work, focusing primarily on digital print and embroidery.


Small colour collages

Digital print with hand stitching


CAD embroidery piece

Digital print with Irish embroidery


Sarah Wilson (Student Creative)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.